Extending mapping across platforms with new Mac, iPad & iPhone Products

June 1, 2011

As the global information mapping software leader with over 1.8 million paying customers worldwide, we pay close attention to what our customers want. Since I joined Mindjet back at the beginning of the year, many of you have interacted with me on the various forums and via the surveys that I have sent out. You’ve told me that you want products that complement the way you work today – be it at home, on the road and, especially, at the office.

MM9 Mac Box Shot Image SMTo start with, I am very excited about the upcoming MindManager Version 9 for Mac solution we are releasing on June 23. After extensive surveying of our Mac users, we heard you loud and clear: you want more feature-parity with Windows MindManager while retaining the unique feeling and capabilities of the Mac application. We listened and we are sure you will be very excited by new features such as slide creation, WYSIWYG printing, Quick-Entry mode, improved templates and other content, etc. Check out the complete product information here.

Information mapping is an essential complement to your core business applications and our plan is to give you tools that improve productivity and innovation across all the devices you regularly use. Mobile apps are a great addition to our information mapping product line because the touch screen interface facilitates typical visual mapping uses like note taking, brainstorming, and requirements gathering.  With a touch of your finger, you can drag and drop to create topics, subtopics, and details with a natural fluidity that isn’t possible on other platforms.

With the acquisition of the core technology and development resources of the respected myMind product, we’ve been able to deliver 1.0 Mindjet iPad and iPhone releases that are simply the most usable mobile mapping solutions on the market today.  Look for them on the iTunes app store on June 15th.

By the way, I want to relate a funny story from the meeting with iPhone Life during our press briefings. I had just finished reviewing the upcoming Mac launch and was about to dive into the details of our upcoming mobile products when the reporter interrupted me to say “Blaine, before you tell me more, I just have to tell you about the mapping app I use on my own iPad. I really like it because it’s the most usable iPad mapping app out there. It’s called myMind. Have you heard of it?”

With great pleasure I told him that, in fact, myMind was the foundation of the applications we are releasing and that the myMind development team was now part of Mindjet’s team.  Who doesn’t love a little validation, even before the release date, right?

In addition to great usability, our mobile products also provide the best compatibility with the industry standard Mindjet (.mmap) file format. The implications are huge. With mobile mapping apps today, round-tripping a complex map from the desktop to the mobile device and back again usually means that the more advanced types of content and meta-data are either lost or garbled. This is a huge pain-point for mobile users.

No more.

Mindjet’s new mobile apps retain and store virtually all map data types. Even if a data type isn’t directly supported in the mobile app, it is retained in the background and appears untouched when you are back on your desktop mapping application. Pain point resolved!

Finally, rest assured that this is just the beginning of our entry into the mobile space – we have an aggressive roadmap of upgrades and enhancements that will be automatically sent to your iPad, iPod Touch, or iPhone. Click here for more information on our new mobile apps.

With the addition of these mobile applications, Mindjet provides the most usable and useful information mapping solutions available across mobile, Web, Windows and Mac platforms. Lots more left to come – hang on for a great ride!

62 Responses to “Extending mapping across platforms with new Mac, iPad & iPhone Products”

1. Malik

Same here. I also can’t get maps from my computer onto my iPhone. Even
    though Mind Manager for iPhone is advertised as being able to read mind
    maps from the Windows version, every format I’ve tried is incompatible.

2. mirek

Apple is sometime being laughed at because of its upgrade policy (honestly I do not know why), but the upgrade policy of Mindjet beats that big time. As a long time MM user I’ve purchased the iPhone app as soon as it hit the Appstore, although it did not have very useful functionality, somehow hoping this would improve with updates (e.g. the mmap format compatibility). Well, it did not happen, in fact the app was never updated, as far as I can recall. Now when finally the iOS versions seem to catch up, what do I see? It is not an upgrade, it is a new app again. You may say – it is written from a scratch and now it does support mmap. Well, from my – user – point of view this is just a fix of an app I once paid for but could not really use. Kind of sad practice of, as you put it, industry leader. I mean, I do not care for few EUR (in my case), otherwise I would not have just placed preorder for Mac version 9. Besides, I am not mind mapping on iPhone any more since the iPad was introduced a year ago (BTW – a YEAR ago). From my user POV, MM, instead of convincing me to switch from competition a year later than I expected is just sending me a message – pay, pay, pay again. Why it is not an universal app for all iOS devices I can also only wonder.
    I mean, I am not going to leave MM which I use both on Win and Mac for years, just because this odd “upgrade” policy, and I guess eventually I’ll get he iPad one as well, but I’d prefer to focus on features when talking the MM with my friends instead of wondering about the above, if you see what I mean.

• parkertrewin

We have been admittedly not as quick to deliver the iOS products as we would have liked. Our new launches are our first step to rectify the situation. More updates are coming. As far our upgrade policy, as you noted, it is a new product developed from the ground up which is what drove the upgrade policy. Give me a shout at parkertrewin@mindjet and let’s discuss further.

3. Stractitioner

MindManager for iPad not showing up in Canada app store… Coming soon?

• parkertrewin

We will release the iPad on 6/15.  It should be available then.

4. Andre Teixeira

That’s great, congratulations on the impending launch of a usable product. As a MindManager user for more than 5 years, I have to say I was quite disappointed by MindJet for iPhone as it was, and by the absence of an iPad version. But let me say this: this’d better be a free update to the existing product…

• parkertrewin

Thanks for the comments, Andre. The new Mindjet iPhone and Mindjet iPad products are entirely new apps built from the ground up with new feature sets and functionality – and are not upgrades to the previous Mindjet app for iPhone or other Mindjet apps. I’m happy to discuss more. Please contact me directly at parker.trewin@mindjet.com

5. Rallen2010

Mac version 9 looks as if it is still missing the project management tools of the windows releases, including ability to view a map as a gantt chart.

Come on guys – mindmanager is more expensive thAn ms office. The functionality seems really not that much more than a decade ago. I find that I use my $9.99 ithoughts hd on iPad instead now because mm for mac is so overpriced and lacking compared to windows version.

6. Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne

Fantastic news.  Does this mean that Catalyst is now supported on the Mac?

7. Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne

Fantastic news.  Does this mean version 9 for Mac will support Catalyst?

• parkertrewin

While not “official” news we are working on a free patch to this release which will include Catalyst connectivity. We could not get the feature in time for this release but we definitely will include it for all buyers of Mac 9 when it is ready. It is important to us that all our users, across platforms, are able to share and collaborate easily.

• Jarlath O'Neil-Dunne

Thanks, this will be a big help.  As you can imagine, firing up a virtual machine just to launch a version of Mind Manger that connects to Catalyst really slows things down for Mac users.

8. Victoria Bampton

So will this new iPhone app be a free upgrade to the last one you released?  After the last app stopped being updated so quickly after release, I’m not in a hurry to pay for another version in case this one ‘retires’ quickly too.

• Eric S. Mueller

Same here. I also can’t get maps from my computer onto my iPhone. Even though Mind Manager for iPhone is advertised as being able to read mind maps from the Windows version, every format I’ve tried is incompatible.

• parkertrewin

The new Mindjet iPhone and iPad apps will be compatible with .mmap file formats.

• Evelyn Pereyra

Hmm not sure I’m with you on that one, I personally can’t wait for the next iPhone to come out, waiting anxiously! I am naturally an anxious person anyway lol.. I’ve been experiencing one too many clonazepam side effects the past few years so I’m trying to take it easy now, anyway, iPhone rocks! RIP Steve Jobs.

1.  Mindjet Acquires Thinking Space to Use Its MindMapping App on Android
  2.  Mindjet Buys Thinking Space, Launches Mind Mapping App For Android « Pre Paid Phones « Prepaid Phones
  3.  Mindjet Buys Thinking Space, Launches Mind Mapping App For Android | Technomania..
  4.  Mindjet Buys Thinking Space, Launches Mind Mapping App For Android » Mindjet, Android, Mindjets, Fortune, Space, Thinking » Marine Handheld GPS
  5.  Mindjet Buys Thinking Space, Launches Mind Mapping App For Android | Diseño web económico
  6.  Mindjet for Android is Here! | The Mindjet Blog
  7.  Discount Car Insurance, Cheapest Car Insurance, Best Car Insurance, Save Money on Car Insurance, Save Money on Auto Insurance
  8.  iphone 5 concept
  9.  ipod
  10.  geld verdienen met youtube
  11.  dich thuat tieng trung
  12.  carcase iphone
  13.  servicio tecnico
  14.  comments.blog.
  15.  email geld verdienen,geld verdienen mit email
  16.  Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet - Hersteller Nachrichten
  17.  Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet Pressemitteilung
  18.  Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet - LokaleFirmenPresse
  19.  Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet | Presseportal für kostenlose Pressemitteilungen
  20.    Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet  -  BDZ-Presse
  21.  Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet | new News
  22.  Pressemitteilung zu Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet | Weltjournal.de - Das online Presseportal
  23.  Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet | IT News, NewMedia und Nachrichten zu Software Entwicklung
  24.  Seminarbörse » Bis zur Einführung von MindManager 2012: Sommer-Promotion von Mindjet
  25.  Presseportal.org - Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus | Presseportal für kostenlose Pressemitteilungen
  26.  Pressemitteilung Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus | pressemitteilung.co
  27.  Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus | new News
  28.  Pressemitteilung - Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus | internetmarketing.or.at
  29.  Pressemitteilung zu Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus | Weltjournal.de - Das online Presseportal
  30.  Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus - Hersteller Nachrichten
  31.    Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus  -  BDZ-Presse
  32.  Apps für iPad und iPhone: Mindjet baut seine Präsenz auf dem Markt für Mobilgeräte aus | IT News, NewMedia und Nachrichten zu Software Entwicklung
  33.  Say ‘Hello’ to our new iOS apps: Mindjet for iPad and Mindjet for iPhone! | The Mindjet Blog
  34.  Meetings suck! Use these 2 tools for meeting productivity! - Mario Armstrong
  35.  interesting reads for June 6, 2011 | blog.adrianwong.org