Update: MindManager 8 for Mac Release Plans

November 19, 2009

MindManager_Mac8Our MindManager 8 for Mac beta has ended, thanks for your participation!

We’ve received great constructive feedback from our beta customers and internal testing and usability teams over the last couple of months.

Our goal is to create an amazing experience for you, our customers. In an effort to ensure this, we’ve updated our plan and extended the development timeframe to fine-tune and further enhance the MindManager for Mac user experience.

The updated plan is to release MindManager 8 for Mac at the end of January, prior to Macworld 2010.

We apologize for this delay. While this process has taken a bit longer than we anticipated, we think you will be impressed with the end-result.

Thanks again to all the beta participants!

Update: MindManager 8 for Mac Release Plans

Thanks again to all the beta participants!

21 Responses to “Update: MindManager 8 for Mac Release Plans”

1. steve

On the question of paying for features…

Mac users are now more than just students and graphic artists. Plenty of us are migrating to Mac in the corporate world. We expect to pay on par for apps, so long as the feature set is not a poor subset as mentioned earlier…thanks

2. Vagelis Ballas

Gentlemen, in regards to core features, MM8 dissapoints me.
    Almost 3 years to MM7 and now this … With the exception of connectivity (where the online service is not what you should be offering, we need integrated offline products), I do not see any real differences.
    On top of everything, this makes it hard to pay for maintenance, once again…

3. Michael Deutch

Lennart,

I HEAR you :) Thanks.

I think you read into my question a bit differently than I had intended.

The biggest feedback we’ve received for Mac had been imports & exports. This is the final feature our team is working on for this release.

Have you shared which features are most important to you with our team yet? You can do so here:

Regarding your comments, Mindjet has never held back features from the Mac community for fear of pricing issues. The delta pretty much is the result of the 13 or so year head start by MindManager on Windows plus the most challenging economy we’re facing in our lifetimes.

We’re still committed to Mac and have begun the process for 2010’s MindManager 9.

Please send in your feedback, or ask for features here! Either way, construction requests are very much appreciated.

4. Lennart

Michael Deutch :

TLouis – Thanks! We’re on it.
    Ona – I’m listening, to you, to Lennart, and our other customers. We’re working hard on the release for you.
    By the way, did you mean in your comment that one of your comments was deleted here in the blog? I checked online and it shows you made a comment on 2009/11/19. It wasn’t deleted. Did you make another one? If it was deleted, that was a mistake. You have my apologies.
    Lennart / Ona – I hear your irritation that the Mac product isn’t the same as the Windows product. I assume that you’ve both switched from the Windows to Mac. True?
    If there was feature parity, would you be OK to have price parity too?
    There’s a difference in features but there is also a significant difference in price. The Windows product is $349, the Mac product had been $129, almost 1/3 of the price. I’m curious how you and others feel about that?

Absolutely.

But at least you should give mac people the choice to get a REAL mindmanger, and not a stripped down demo of how mindmanagement works generally without any professional features.

I really need a powerful mindmanager. Like the one windows user already had in MM2002.

But the fact that you ask us if we WOULD pay more if Mindjet WOULD offer a more powerful tool shows us that AGAIN you made a product for the mac which will lag most of the features. I really fear u only gave us a little facelift. Again.

To be honest I have no understanding for this at all. I mean how did Mindjet get the idea that macusers might not want to pay as much as windows users at all? As Ona said, do you know what a mac machine costs compared to a windows machine? And we mac users are used to pay for software.

I have absolutely no idea why u got the idea that this peace of software should be enough for those “not-so-pro” mac users.

Especially you Michael, do you remember THIS VERY STRIKING conversation with Pietro Speroni at all? (LINK How could you again drop all those features fearing we wouldn’t want to pay them?

I am really sorry for this critics, but as a customer who visits the mindjet website almost every day since he paid for MM7mac, hoping there will be a professional version soon I am slightly disappointed by the get-up-and-go of mindjet regarding the mac.

5. Michael Deutch

John, our team is looking into this now. I should have news early next week.

Ian, I’ll check on this for you. I don’t think that it supports it yet though.

6. johnbmtl

Since the MM8 beta is expiring and the new version will not be available until January, is there any way of extending the beta version so that it would keep working until the release of the official release?

Or do the mindmaps we have created become useless until January?

7. Ian Ross

I missed the beta, but can someone tell me if MM8 Mac plans to support ink? I develop mindmaps on my tablet (Windows) and would like to be able to open them on my Mac for later review and editing (albeit with a keyboard). Previous MM Mac versions have been a let down by not displaying anything scribed in ink from a Windows-MM file.

8. Ona Roth

Yes, I would pay the increased price for the better product. As you know, Mac computers or “not” inexpensive.
    I use mindmanager daily. Your product has become a staple in my professional and personal computing.
    Please don’t leave us Mac people behind.

9. Michael Deutch

TLouis – Thanks! We’re on it.

If there was feature parity, would you be OK to have price parity too?

10. Ona ROTH

Lennart :

Again we see how much less you care about Mac customers than windows customers. If MM8mac again lags most of the features windows users are used to since YEARS mm7 was the last time I spend money for a mindjet product.

I’m of the same thinking. My blog was taken off. I hope yours stays on. Someone “must” start to listen to MAC people.

11. Lennart

12. Michael Deutch

Sibren – The beta version of MindManager 8 for Mac will cease to function at the end of the month by design. At this time, there isn’t another beta alternative available as our team is working on the enhancements & feedback we’ve received. Regarding your desire to work online, that capability is available via a subscription to Mindjet Catalyst. A subscription enables you to use a browser to update maps online and/or MindManager 8 for Windows.

13. Sibren van der Burgt

Michael, I want to work with version 8. Can I be in the MindManager 8 for Mac beta-program?

I have bought the mm7 forMAC and used the trial mm8 on PC to work online. But now the month is passed and can not use mm7 for MAC working online…

Meanwhile my workflow is depending on online-availability also.

Regards, Sibren

14. Michael Deutch

Kenny – Thanks, we’re excited too. That was a beta version that someone posted online. It will time-out on 11/30 so you’ll need to use your earlier release until the official launch.

15. Kenny Meyers

Sorry to hear that it won’t come out until January, but I got a copy of it (which I think was accidentally put up on Macupdate) and I really think it’s a great step forward.

Really looking forward to this release.

16. Matthew Carter

Will you still be honoring your upgrade promise to those who bought MM7 expecting to upgrade to MM8 when released? I bought my license on 11/4, after you had announced the upgrade path on your blog. Will I still be able to get the latest version of the software when it is released?